Police Confrontation During Dubious Arrest, Boniface Mwangi

Police Confrontation During Dubious Arrest, Boniface Mwangi

Boniface Mwangi, activist and photojournalist, on  Wednesday, April 29 confronted plainclothes police officers surfaced online activists on the footage.

Ukweli Party leader revealed that the incident involving the arrest of 4 men in Korogocho happened during a raid in which the police claimed to have apprehended them for failing to wear protective masks.

Mwangi questioned the arrest thus confronting one of the officers whose face mask was strapped to his chin, an improper way to wear the mask.

"You aren't even wearing your mask, do you think what you are doing is just?" Mwangi asked the arresting officer.

The slum area residents crowded around the officers while chanting 'this is not justice'.

The officer clad in a printed t-shirt, brown jacket, and black pants maintained that the suspects were in clear violation of the mask rule.

"We found them without their masks on and we are here to enforce the law," he insisted.

The arresting officer claimed that one of the suspects was under arrest for a separate offense as a way to cover up for their mistakes.

At the Korogocho Police Post, he further revealed that one of the suspects had been nabbed at a chang'aa den.

Mwangi  however questioned why the bar owner was not among the arrested suspects.

"If you really found him at a bar, how comes the bar owner is not here. Was he at the bar by himself?" he asked.

The officer ignored the question and went ahead to process the suspects, who were all in face masks.

One officer stationed at the precincts entry area took a quick temperature check of the suspects as well as Mwangi and his crew before they were allowed in.

On April 15, Inspector-General of Police Hillary Mutyambai announced that any violators would be arrested and taken to court.

“A person who commits an offense under these rules shall, on conviction, be liable to a fine not exceeding Kshh20,000 or imprisonment for a period not exceeding six months or both,” he announced.

On March 31, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA), issued a statement stating that three deaths allegedly caused by police enforcing the dusk-to-dawn curfew had been registered for investigation.

Courtesy - Kenyans.co.ke 

  • Reviews (0)
Click Category for articles...

Leave a review/opinion

To leave a review/opinion, please login to your account. Login